Ten teachers to receive Golden Apple Awards
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:37 AM
Ten teachers from Catholic schools around the Archdiocese of Washington will receive Golden Apple Awards for their excellence in teaching and commitment to Catholic education. The teachers were nominated by their colleagues, parents of students and students. The awardees receive a $5,000 prize along with a golden apple, pin and certificate.
The awards will be presented by Cardinal Donald Wuerl, archbishop of Washington at a May 19 dinner at the Renaissance Hotel in Washington. ABC 7 and News Channel 8 TV personality Greta Kreuz will emcee the evening's festivities.
The award is offered in just five dioceses nationwide. It was created by the Pittsburgh-based Donahue Family Foundation whose founders, Jack and Rhodora Donahue, sent their 13 children to Catholic schools. They established the award to express their deep appreciation to Catholic school teachers for providing a quality academic and faith-filled education for their children.The Archdiocese of Washington's 2010-2011 Golden Apple Awardees are:
- Lori Carter, a first grade teacher at St. Mary of the Mills School in Laurel
- Dorothy DiGiovannantonio, kindergarten teacher at St. Mary School in Bryantown
- Chastity Johnson, a third grade teacher at Father Andrew White School in Leonardtown
- Susan Kirkbride, a science and math teacher at St. Bartholomew School in Bethesda
- Frances Natalicchio, fifth grade teacher at St. Peter School in Olney
- Sister Jane Onyeneri, director of religious education at St. Augustine School in Washington
- Elva Riley, kindergarten teacher at St. Elizabeth School in Rockville
- Elizabeth Smith, the pre-kindergarten teacher and team leader in the Early Childhood Learning Center at St. Francis International School in Silver Spring
- David Tenney, a religion teacher at St. Vincent Pallotti High School in Laurel
- Mary Van Ryswick, kindergarten teacher at St. Michael School in Ridge
The Archdiocese of Washington serves nearly 30,000 students in 98 schools in the District of Columbia and Calvert, Charles, Montgomery, Prince George's and St. Mary's counties in Maryland.